Speaking with THE STAR in a recent interview, executive producer of the show, Mark Kenny, said the show will be launched on January 18. He said the five audition locations are still Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, May Pen, Portmore and Kingston. While the auditions should begin between mid-to late-February, the dates and exact locations, he said, would be announced at the launch.
It is also at that point that the new host and venue would be announced.
“The programme has become so big. We have outgrown Weekenz. We also have a new host to unveil to the world,” Kenny told THE STAR.
In September, Empress Mullings, who hosted the show from its inception, announced that she had left the show to pursue other ventures. As a result, the organisers did a public search for a host to replace her.
Season four was initially scheduled to start late last year but there were some delays. However, Kenny said this had nothing to do with the host.
“We knew that months ago. We are sorry to lose her (Mullings) but she has done a good three years,” he said.
Instead, he said the delay was caused by the other ventures he is involved in.
“We were delayed because of my other productions. I had Wray and Nephew Contender and Claro Cash Cab. And, Lascelles preferred if we started the new year with the new show. It was no drama or anything like that,” Kenny said.
Nonetheless, he said the delay would be to the show’s advantage.
“I actually think it’s better. People have more time and are freer this time of year to do this type of thing. The show benefits ’cause we will get an even broader range of contestants,” he told THE STAR.
With everything going as planned, Kenny’s expectations are pretty simple, as he hopes for the show this year to be “absolutely enormous”, he said, laughing. “With a new venue and new host, we expect to keep on building on the momentum of the past three years.”
Writer: Sadeke Brooks