The show was scheduled to be launched on January 18 but at the last minute it was postponed and is now scheduled to take place tomorrow.
According to executive producer of the show, Mark Kenny, it was postponed because the venue was not finalised.
“We had some difficulties tying down our new live venue. We thought we had somewhere but it didn’t transpire. Every time we postpone we have to reorganise our broadcast schedule. Everything has to be pushed back for a week,” he told THE STAR.
Magnum Kings and Queens of the Dancehall has been held at Weekenz, Constant Spring Road, since its inception three years ago. However, Kenny said a venue change was needed because the show had outgrown the venue.
In addition to a new venue, the show now has a new host, Yanique, who was announced last week. She is a past student of Northern Caribbean University and was professionally trained in video production at Creative Production and Training Centre (CPTC).
She also hosted the first season of ‘In the Dance’, a dance/music show on local television.
Yanique joins the show after Emprezz Mullings announced late last year that she was leaving the show after three seasons.
Though she is new, Kenny said he believed Yanique to be perfect for the task ahead.
“We did an open call audition and saw about 100 people over three to four weeks. Yanique was, by far, the best and she has a great look and a great look for dancehall. We have great possibilities in terms of how to style her. We think the dancehall arena will like her,” he said, noting that more information will be disclosed at the launch of the show.
After the launch, there will be auditions in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, May Pen, Portmore and Kingston. The dates and exact locations within these areas are yet to be disclosed.
Writer: Sadeke Brooks